Sunday, March 24, 2013

The Classics


I'm a Nintendo fan.  Not the new stuff.  NES.  25+ years after the original release, it's still my favorite game console.  Then again, I've never personally owned a newer console.  I've played consoles belonging to my friends and I've played my husband's PS2 before his accident, but they were never as appealing to me as good old NES games.  We recently bought our first flat panel TV, and after a three year hiatus, there is nothing like Mario 3 on the big screen in HD.  Well, The Legend of Zelda.

I'm introducing the world of Mario and Luigi to the children before allowing Wii into their lives.  My husband has long been a proponent of the hand-eye coordination school of thought.  I believe we're teaching the kids important problem solving skills and allowing creative thought never allowed by 3-D gaming.

We limit screen time, of course.  I don't want Kaiya to start thinking she's earned star power and is now somehow indestructible.  I don't want Ronin to jump on Tanith like he's Luigi and she's a Goomba.  For now, he's content to hold a disconnected dogbone controller and yell at the TV.
Below: gratuitous picture of the baby, just 'cause she's cute.







3 comments:

  1. Yes! I started playing Mario at Ronin's age and look how well I turned out. Wait.. maybe I shouldn't use that as an example.. >.<

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have all of the legends of zelda and I'm saving up to buy some more wii points so I can buy all the marios too. That's the beauty of the wii, they have a wii store and damn near every game they ever released on their various systems. Love!

    ReplyDelete